Search

Saturday, February 20, 2010

Public Transportation

Having never lived in a big city, I am a complete novice when it comes to public transportation. I would say that taking the bus to and from school is a wonderful thing and also the worst thing about Quito. Depending on the day, I either get to stand up, with my pack on my front, hanging by my arms from the bars or worse, I am smashed in the doorway like a sardine, wondering if it is better to save my computer from ladrones or keep myself upright; I never get a seat in the morning except for maybe the last 5 minutes. On a good ride, the bus driver does not drive like a maniac - he understands that there is such thing as slowing down before stopping. Normally, even sitting down is a full body workout.

When I first got here, I thought I would never understand the blue buses - where they go, when to pay, how to get off. But now, I have 2 routes figured out (mostly) - to and from class and the other to the park/mall/movie theatre and sometimes back :) Getting on the bus is always a gamble.

2 comments:

  1. the bus system was extremely overwhelming for me but i was only on the mainland for less than a month- i have faith in your public transportation skills... they say you get used to it? im so happy i discovered your blog yet so envious of your proximity to the equator

    ReplyDelete
  2. CHELSEA! We definitely need to catch up soon! I have only heard about your adventures 3rd hand - not cool.

    ReplyDelete