Search

Sunday, February 7, 2010

Soy la Margarita


I have a lot of anecdotes from the past week - too much for a blog post. This week was a crash test in my ability to adjust to the simple, Andean lifestyle into which I was adopted in the Intag Cloud Forest. From my family I learned to milk a cow, clean a chicken, plant carrots, harvest potatoes, weave cabuya, and ride a horse. Communication never came easy. And my North American idea of germs and personal space was the least sustainable thing I brought with me - germs do not exist and neither does personal space. My cute family in Palo Seco really did teach me a lot that cannot be shared except through experience.

As for my time in La Florida Reserve, mist nets, long hikes and group bonding were the highlights. I could easily make the cloud forest my home for some time (don't worry, Mama, I'm coming home in May as planned).

No comments:

Post a Comment